and she’s totally amazing. Rock-your-world, lift-your-spirits, where-have-you-been-my-whole-life amazing. I’m so blessed and so grateful for her, and today I need to brag about her a little.
- She’s smart. So smart, and not just in a brainy factoid kinda way (although she’s got that book smart thing down too), but in a clever, resourceful kind of way. She approaches things in a way that I wouldn’t ever think of, and she gives me the best and sneakiest tips on how to get great seats, hard to snag reservations, and the very best deals. (I so never knew that you could get free groceries!) How cool is that?
- She is strong. Strong in a way that I find both inspirational and intimidating. Life has thrown out some curveballs and she didn’t bother dodging them, she swung her bat and knocked them out of the park. It’s true that sometimes you have no choice about what comes your way, but you always have a choice about how you react and her reactions are remarkable. Where some would wallow in self-pity, she forged ahead. When some would wail about the depths of despair, she created a new normal. She has a beautiful and blessed life because of her beautiful and blessed heart, and I am in awe.
- She’s funny. Wickedly funny. She can make me laugh like few people can, and who doesn’t need more of that in their life? How wonderful is that! Humorless people are such a drag.
- She’s a great writer. She writes in a way that instantly connects with you, across time and distance and differences. She makes you feel exactly what she is feeling, and she has a unique way of blending raw emotion and sarcastic wit that is really unforgettable. She’s made me laugh and cry out loud more times than I can count, and she’ll be doing it for you one day too. I’ll give you a heads up when her book is published. I hear it’s fantastic. Not that I’ve been able to read it yet… ahem. Moving on.
- She’s thoughtful. Kind. Generous. She is a giver, of herself, her time, her resources, her emotions. She is such a loving, caring person and she doesn’t give herself enough credit for it.
- She is beautiful, inside and out. Her self-deprecating humor makes mention of a blueberry muffin, but pay that no mind; anyone who has seen her knows that she’s a hot mama. If you don’t believe me, just ask the broom boy.
- She is honest. She’ll tell you what you need to hear no matter what, even when it’s unpleasant. She’ll talk about the embarassing stuff that only the very best of friends will talk about. She’ll tell you what she really thinks, no holds barred.
- She gets me. She just gets me, no words necessary. Of course we do share lots of words, because when we know we’re thinking the same thing it’s really nice to be able to share that. Rant a little, laugh a little – ok, laugh a lot. People who get it so easily and comfortably are hard to find, and I have The Mouse to thank for bringing this one into my life. Another way that Disney has been good to me.
Happy birthday, my forever friend. I love you.